Thursday, September 17, 2020

Announcing Cody's Halloween 2020 Spectacular!


Hello, hello! Well. The best time of the year is upon us once again, and do I have a treat for all of you. Seeing as how October is rapidly approaching (we are only a mere fourteen days TWO WEEKS away, by my count), it's time for Spoiler Alert! to come at you with another celebration, and I can think of no better way to celebrate Halloween this year than a tribute to one of the all-time greats for horror films, and my personal favorite... JOHN CARPENTER.

Kurt Russell (Big Trouble in Little China), "Rowdy" Roddy
Piper (They Live), Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween), and... er...
Kurt Russell again (Escape from L.A.)
Carpenter was born on January 16, 1948 in Carthage, New York. He and his family later relocated to Bowling Green, Kentucky in 1953 when we was still a lad. He was most inspired in film at an early age, particularly the westerns of Howard Hawks and John Ford, as well as 1950s low-budget horror films such as The Thing from Another World (classic) and high-budget science fiction like Forbidden Planet, and began filming horror short films with 8 mm film even before starting high school. He attended Western Kentucky University, where his father chaired the music department, then transferred to the University of Southern California's School of Cinematic Arts during 1968, but quit to make his first feature film.

We're going to cover most of Carpenter's well known horror films during the month of October. You'll read me talking about Halloween yet again, and then find me as I review films of his I haven't touched yet, and rightfully so, as I've been waiting for this such an occasion to do so. Below is the projected schedule for which I hope to have blog posts ready and released to you for your reading pleasure, as well as the films that we will go over.

Oct 1 - Assault on Precinct 13
Oct 5 - The Fog
Oct 9 - Escape From New York
Oct 12 - The Thing
Oct 15 - Christine
Oct 18 - Prince of Darkness
Oct 22 - They Live
Oct 25 - In the Mouth of Madness
Oct 28 - Village of the Damned
Oct 31 - Halloween; Halloween II & III

I hope you'll be there and join me in saluting a cornerstone of American horror cinema this October right here on Spoiler Alert!

No comments:

Post a Comment