Friday, November 28, 2014

The New Lightsabers

So, today I was handed a link to the debut of the new Star Wars trailer. Naturally, I had to rape the replay button. I wanted to speculate as much as I can.

There's only one thing I wanna touch on, the lightsaber has cross guards now. I didn't know what to think at first. Every new addition to Star Wars has always done innovative things with the lightsaber. After all, the lightsaber is one of the primary staples of the whole franchise. When you think "Star Wars", you think of lightsabers at least once or twice. When the first trilogy of films came out in 1977, 1980 and 1983, the lightsabers were just linear hilts with energy blades. That's it. Pretty great, and then in 1999 when the trailer for Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace came out, you got to see Darth Maul and his double-bladed lightsaber. In Episode II: Attack of the Clones you had Anakin Skywalker wielding two seperate lightsabers in combat. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith had nothing special but still definitely satisfying. Now that Episode VII has its teaser trailer, we see the lightsaber has cross guards. It's great. I think it's definitely ballsy to try and change the lightsaber again. Pretty soon we'll have dozens of different kinds of lightsabers.

Nobody gonna stop me wit my cross guards

No comments:

Post a Comment